23 April 2011

EighthInch Scrambler V3 - the making of

How do you build a bike in a 20-something square meter apartment? Easy, I'll show you and tell a bit what I've done, how you can do it yourself and why a unique bike is always more fun than one from the store.

After waiting for the delivery from CyclingCloseOuts for one month I finally got to pick up a Scrambler V3 frame from the customs. Having chosen the Raw finish I found out that the frame has quite a few rust spots that are pushing through the clear coat already fresh from the box. The clean steel still looks rad and that was what I was going for this time; a colorless super bike (except the flag of France).

The frame comes with a sturdy fork, a seatpost, a cheap no-name headset and Eighthinch decals. Tools used - A Biltema bike tool kit and some special tools.



I got this bad boy threadless headset tool to assemble a Chris King headset back in the day. Easy to use; assemble and screw the cups into place. This time it's used in the kitchen. I think I should do some cleaning. If you need to borrow this, just give me a note! (Mainly people from Helsinki). You see the rust quite well in this picture.

Because I already had a Mavic CXP 22 front wheel I just needed a rear wheel and as it happens to be Eighthinch has these über deep rims that I couldn't resist. Julian 32H. The hub is a Sturmey Archer flip-flop which the company doesn't even have on their website. Piracy? Spokes and nipples are from Velosport in Helsinki. 260mm or 261mm spokes would be the best for this combination. Check out how to build a wheel on Youtube and Sheldon Brown.

Wheel building is like therapy. Be sure to have a spoke wrench, a screw driver and good music.

3/4 to go!

An earlier blog post over a month ago shows a hype about how the "bike building has begun" - well, here are the cranks and the saddle assembled to their new home. A Gusset saddle and Sturmey Archer 170mm cranks bought from Charlie the Bikemonger. The bottom bracket is a Shimano UN-54 68mm, 110mm. In retrospect I should've had a 107mm or even a 103mm BB to get the chain properly in line. Whatever. Just tighten the bottom bracket to 40Nm. You already saw how to cut a handlebar I suppose. If not, here you go. The most ugly part of the bike is the stem.

Yes, I built the whole rear wheel and it's starting to look like something! Now's the time for wheel truing. That, my friends is really fun!

You can't do this without a motivator (= beer). Check out the improvised truing bench; a library card and a coaster and some rubber bands. I got this beer cozy along with the frame as well. Thank you Eighthinch, I feel so gay!

It took a while, but now they're street legal and straight as hell! The 17T sprocket and the lockring are both from Token. Michelin low budget wheels! Inside we've got Vittoria 15mm rim tapes and Airwave Road Tubes. All this can be found on Chain Reaction Cycles for a decent price.

I had a hard time finding any grips so I took the 2nd ones that hit my hand in our local bike shop. They go with the "colors" anyway. To the point! Have you ever had troubles "threading" grips on your handlebar?

No. L'Oreal is not my sponsor. Anyway, take your grip and spray the insides of the grips with hairspray, put them on the handlebar as easily as a condom on a cucumber and wait 1 minute, voilà! Far better than any glue.


While assembling the chain you have to check its correct length and cut it with a chain cutter, easy.


One last thing before you think you're finished! Remember to fill up your tires with air and tighten every bolt and screw, especially your sprocket and lock ring. How to make it easy? Rotafix! Check here how it works. You can use a tool to your lockring, but I just go with a screw driver and a hammer.

Want to see the final result? Well it's in front of your face. In-joy! I certainly will, because this colorless pearl makes me alive again! See you on the streets! Oh, this fork and wheel combination lets you do barspins!

Eighthinch Scrambler V3 Raw - Model Francais

Check out the other bikes I've put together over the years here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 25/4/11 20:59 , Blogger Matu said...

C O W A !

 
At 3/6/11 03:24 , Blogger Erwinn said...

Very clean and nice. I really like it. I am now building one too... a raw 8inch scrambler. :)

 
At 28/6/11 09:54 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet! less is more..
By the way, what size is that frame?

 
At 1/7/11 15:15 , Blogger fredd said...

The only sad part about the frame is that the rust pushes through, sure it does give a nice look to it, but it's still rust.. I still LOVE it! And it's for sale! The size is a 57cm

 
At 23/6/13 04:45 , Blogger Unknown said...

do you know the headset size? I want to buy one better for my new frame but I don't know the size..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home