20 April 2011

Build a bike - Cut the handlebar

As some of you might know, I'm building myself a new bike. A fixed gear bike. Because this blog exists I'd like to share with you some tips and tricks that I've taught myself over the past 4 builds.

First off, you don't need a fancy 50€ handle bar, unless you're a hipster and like your handlebar in an anodized color. My budget can't handle this, therefore I went shopping to Biltema and got myself a Sport handle bar for 6,99€ (a riser). It's 580mm (58cm) wide and has a diameter of 25,4mm. WIDE AS HELL some of you might say. Not to worry about. I can't maneuver a bike between cars with this wide a handlebar either. So let's cut it!

If you can't wait to shorten the handle bar, use an angle grinder. But really. DON'T, since it will most definitely leave you with quite a lot of filing afterwards and you can't really be sure if it's a clean 90 degree angle. Furthermore, not everybody has an angle grinder lying around. Instead, get yourself a pipe cutter from a tool shop. The Biltema one costs you 6,99€ and the result is heavenly.

So when you have your handlebar and a pipe cutter all you need is a black marker pen, a tape measure and 5 minutes of your unbelievably valuable time.

Try out how much you want to cut by simply holding the bar in your hands and make a mark on both sides.

Put the cutter onto the handlebar and tighten. As you can see the cutter will automatically make a clean 90 degree angle because of its design. Start rolling it around the bar and keep tightening when the resistance gets weaker until it eventually cuts.

As you can see the tool makes a very clean cut. I took 8cm from each end, but I think you can go as far as 9cm before the handlebar gets uncomfortable on longer rides.

After spending a staggering 13,98€ I've got myself just the handlebar I wanted.

In-joy the result! Next time I'll tell you how to slide a pair of grips on your handlebar as effortlessly as a condom on a cucumber.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home