25 April 2011

Procrastination eating me alive

The fear of not producing as good as anticipated springs up to mind every Sunday night after browsing the truly endless online world for thousands of different products and services. Whether it's an online magazine, an organic t-shirt or financial advice, it seems that everything has already been done.

This is the point where I realize that my brain has been on hibernation mode for the whole day. As ignorant and irresponsible as it sounds I apparently left my thumping, thinking and creating part in bed this morning. Reflecting on my mistake let me take this opportunity to not only pull the little fellow from between the linen and screw it back into its righteous place but also open your eyes to something slightly disturbing.

Procrastination. At the moment I've got a text document waiting for a creative burst to appear from nowhere, I've got mind-soothing music pouring into my ears and I've got 10 browser windows open. Yes, there's Facebook, there's Twitter, also a few newspaper's sites, Gmail, a few other mails and Youtube. Although half of the tabs are articles that are related to my paper, I still find it hard to focus on them. Really hard.

Why? Because lip syncing Keenan Cahill and Winning Charlie Sheen as well as Mashable and TBWA keeps updating their Twitter accounts. Because I haven't seen enough of this video on Youtube. Because I have to find out what my friends have been up to this weekend on Facebook. Because I keep checking my e-mails all the time. Because I'm a victim of heavy procrastination and I seem to have a hard time getting back on track.

I've learned about numerous social media campaigns, ideas on how to implement similar ones for other companies, analyzed on a shallow level real effects on these campaigns as well. But I'm not proceeding with what should be the most important of all.

Then I stumbled upon iProcrastinate and thought, hmm... I can do this without any apps. So can you. Pull your head out of your ass and motivate yourself. I did it through an epiphany; When this is done, there's one less thing to do and plenty of open doors to enter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home